Canadian Work Visas

Despite having some of the most complex applications and strictest controls, Canada remains an incredibly popular destination for workers and investors.

The country’s wide reach and tight infrastructure make it the perfect land of opportunity for hard-working and driven individuals.

Canadian Work Visas Explained

Broadly speaking, Canadian Work Visas are separated into two programs – The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and the International Mobility Program (IMP).

To determine which best suits your needs, you need to establish if the work you wish to undertake would directly compete with native workers in Canada. For example, if you are applying for an Administrative Role of which there are already workers in Canada undertaking, you would make an Application through the TFWP. If no-one has a role in Canada which suits the description of employment, you would apply through the IMP.

In short, TFWP Applications must undergo a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to confirm that a job can be undertaken, whereas IMP Applications do not.

What this means is that most categories of Canadian Visa can be applied for through either Program, depending on the job description.

The TFWP is the most common route, but the IMP allows for a lot of flexibility – especially for Investors and Intra-Company Transfers.

Here are a few of the popular Visa Programs:

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) – This is an electronic waiver applied to a select few nationalities after a brief online questionnaire.

This permits you to travel to Canada to conduct short-term business activities such as meetings, non-technical site visits and public speaking.

Student Work Permit (On and Off Campus) – Even though you may already have a Student Visa for Canada, you are not automatically entitled to employment, however minor the role may be.

To be lawfully employed whilst you are a Student in Canada, you must make an Application for a Student Work Permit.

Skilled Immigrants (Express Entry) – A more traditional Work Visa that requires a Sponsor in Canada.

This now utilizes an online ‘pooling’ system where you would create profile that can be sent to eligible employers.

Start-Up Visa Program – This is for innovative entrepreneurs looking to take advantage of Canada’s strong economy, low taxes and low business costs.

The focus for a successful Application is to create a business plan that benefits the Canadian workforce and can compete internationally.

Caregivers – This is itself broken down into 3 other categories – Caring for Children, Caring for People with High Medical Needs and Live-in Caregivers.

Relevant experience is essential for this important, popular category.

Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program – This is an esteemed category for those who can invest large sums of money into the Canadian Economy and which benefits the native workforce.

This Visa can quickly lead to Permanent Residency in Canada.

Please bear in mind that there is a quota for this type of Visa – once this has been reached, the Program closes and you must wait until it has been reset.

Self-employed people – For those who have extensive experience in Athletic, Cultural or Agricultural backgrounds with the drive to make it on their own.

International Experience Canada (IEC) – Ideal for Young People and Postgraduates looking to explore and work in Canada.

An Invitation is necessary, and this can be obtained by creating a profile on the Canadian Government website.



Don’t hesitate securing your corporate, commercial or ideal future.

Call James Freeman today for a free consultation or email us at