Australian Business and Working Visas

Are you looking to work or conduct business in the USA?

There are almost 100 different categories and subclasses of Australian Visas – all of these have their own specific requirements and permit you to undertake specific actions.

Applying for the wrong Visa is very common for Australia and this often has a negative impact on travelers. Australian Immigration is notoriously difficult and strict, and amongst one of the most complicated in the world.

The Popular Categories and Subclasses

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA – Subclass 601) – The ETA is a common, electronic travel Visa which is electronically applied to the Passport with which it was obtained.

It covers simple business meetings and does not permit work. It also permits Tourist activities whilst in Australia.

The ETA is not available to all nationalities.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) – Where you are not eligible for an ETA and you are required to enter for simple business meetings, the Visitor Visa will cover you.

It operates much like the ETA and again will cover you for Tourist activities.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) and Work & Holiday Visas (Subclass 462) – Both Visas permit you to work and live in Australia for at least 1 year.

For either Visa, you would need to be aged between 18 and 30.

The main difference between the Visas is the nationalities which are eligible to apply for them.

It is worth noting that both Visas are not permitted to all nationalities – if you are uncertain you should contact us for further information.

Temporary Worker (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457) –This Visa is for skilled migrants looking to work in Australia.

To apply you require an approved business in Australia to Sponsor you. The Visa is issued electronically and can be valid for up-to 4 years.

Given recent changes in Australian legislation, this Visa will be removed shortly.

You may wish to contact us for clarity if you already have a Subclass 457. We can clarify your rights and, if eligible, switch to a different Subclass.

 Business Talent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 132) – This Visa can be applied for in two ways:

  1. Significant Business Owners – this is for highly regarded businesspeople who either own or part-own an Australian Business.
  2. Venture Capital Entrepreneurs – this is for businesspeople who have sourced venture capital funding from a member of AVCAL – he Australian Venture Capital Association Limited

It is worth noting that this Visa can lead to residency.

Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 188) – The Subclass 188 is an entry level Visa to allow you to enter the USA to pursue Investment and Entrepreneurial opportunities.

To obtain this, you will require the appropriate nomination from an Australian Territory and its minister.

Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 888) – Much like the Subclass 188, the Subclass 888 permits the pursuit of Investment and Entrepreneurial opportunities.

It is the second stage of this route and can potentially lead to permanent residency in Australia.

Business Owner Visa (Subclass 890) – For those who own and manage a business in Australia.

This multiple entry Visa can be obtained if you have managed such a business for 2 years, even if you had previously held a different Subclass of Visa.

It is a 5-year Visa that can lead to permanent residency in Australia.

State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner Visa (Subclass 892) –  This is a visa for those who own a new or existing business in Australia.

It is often necessary to require sponsorship from the Territory your business is primarily based in.

This is also a 5-year Visa that can lead to permanent residency in Australia.

James Freeman?


Don’t hesitate securing your corporate, commercial or ideal future.

Call James Freeman today for a free consultation or email us at