Canadian Spouse/Partner Visas

With its promise of a sophisticated metropolitan lifestyle and vast stretches of unrivalled rural beauty, it is difficult to imagine a more ideal place to settle down and start a family than Canada.

The Canadian Government has made provisions for both those who are already married or in a civil partnership and for fiancé(e)s/proposed civil partners to travel to Canada and take up residence.

Canadian Immigration is amongst the most complex in the world – don’t let paperwork get between you and your loved ones!

Types of Spouse/Partner/Fiancé(e) and Proposed Civil Partner Visas for Canada

To understand Canadian Spouse/Partner Visas, you must first understand the three categories considered:

Spouse – Someone to whom you are legally married

Common-Law Partner – Someone to whom you have been living with for at least one year within Canada

Conjugal Partner -Someone to whom you have a genuine and binding relationship to for at least one year who is outside Canada

As such, you can see that there is a distinction made for those who are outside and those inside of Canada – it is worth noting that this covers Same-Sex Marriages and Relationships also.

Regardless of the type of Application made, the Canadian resident with whom you intend to join must be in a position to sponsor you – there are certain financial criteria that they must meet, including Minimum Necessary Income (MNI).

The requirements for all types of relationship are covered by different checklists, however, they all share a common Application Form – IMM 0008.

It is a case of following the suitable checklist, completing the Application Form and making the suitable submission.

Not all Spouse/Partner Visas permit the foreign national to work in Canada upon entry.


Do not delay securing your future in Canada with your loved ones. We stand to offer you clarity and dedication to help you achieve your goals.

Call James Freeman today for a free consultation or email us at