America - Emigration Lawyers

Emigrating to America

Visas for America are becoming increasingly popular in the UK due to the accessibility of US holiday destinations such as Florida, Las Vegas and New York. Combine this with the fact that many Britons are deciding to chase the quintessential ‘American Dream’ by relocating for work, and you have more Brits than ever heading to the shores of the USA to emigrate to America.

No matter what the reason for you travelling to America is, though, everyone entering the country needs prior authorisation to do so in the form of a visa, Visa Waiver Program, or Permanent Resident Card (commonly referred to as a ‘green card’).

There are, however, a number of different types of visas for the USA and which one you need will depend on a number of factors, including the nature and duration of your stay.

Visit visas are relatively straightforward, with the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and ESTA scheme applicable to British citizens, but if you’re planning to visit for business, work, family or study purposes then things get more complicated. For those travelling for work, for example, there are over 9 types of visa category, which can then have a number of subcategories. With so many different types of US visa, it’s a big job to even decide which type you need to apply for, let alone what the application process requirements are!

With America being notorious for the strict nature of their border control systems, emigrating to America can be a minefield for those who try to attempt the process on their own. At James Freeman, we have emigration specialists with a wealth of US visa knowledge to help make the process go smoothly. Whether you’re looking to study at a top US university, have landed your dream job in Silicone Valley, or met the partner of your dreams who’s a US citizen, we can assist with American lawyers on UK time zones.